There is more to remodeling your home or office than simply “knowing your style.” Setting a budget, picking the right contractor, and building a functional vision can consume a lot of time and energy. Alicia Nardo from ABRN Development shares information that will help you make the right decision about your next project. With almost 20 years of experience in both residential and commercial real estate development and construction, Alicia describes the process when working ABRN, her advice for home remodeling, the challenges you may face when working on a home renovation project, and all the things you need to consider when remodeling your home.
What is your industry and what do you do?
We are involved in both residential and commercial real estate development and construction. On the residential side, we design, build and remodel homes in the MetroWest area of Boson. We are also the builder for a large, 128-home residential subdivision currently being constructed in York, PA. Commercially, we develop and build commercial buildings for sale and rent. We recently completed a commercial project in York, PA, which included Tractor Supply Co. and a Verizon store.
How long have you been in business?
We have been in business since 2003; almost 20 years! Our founders have over 40+ years of experience in construction. Our commercial customers are generally individual companies looking to do a fit-out in rented space or build new on owned or rented property.
How is ABRN Development different from other contractors?
What sets us apart from other contractors is our dedication to high-quality construction and customer care. We are relationship-oriented. We build relationships. To be successful, transparency, trustworthiness, dependability, and exceptional communication have to be at the forefront of what we do. ABRN can build a great product, but if our customers get frustrated because we don’t return phone calls, it’s all for not. Construction can be a stressful experience for many people, and we strive to provide a good service experience that exceeds expectations.
What are 3 things your clients should know about your process right from the start?
- Right from the start, we will compile a detailed and well-thought-out estimate covering the scope of the work. Every price is researched and compared to provide the best quality and value for the customer.
- We know how to work on a budget. If a customer has a strict budget that they must adhere to, we can work with them to help bring their dream to life and keep it within budget. If they decide to spend more on finishes, we communicate costs at each step to avoid any surprises.
- We spend time with our customers to determine how they want to function and feel in their new home or space. Every aspect of finishing a project is coordinated to meet these goals and specific to each family’s needs and desires.
What advice would you give to people who are interested in a home remodeling project and not sure how to budget or plan for it?
There are a couple of things for people to be aware of about doing a remodel at this time. As I mentioned earlier, material costs are rising. The rate of increase is unprecedented right now. It can be disheartening for clients to see how the price of a simple remodel has risen.
- Try to build a cushion in the budget for those unexpected costs. Because while we do all we can to keep costs down, things do happen out of our control.
- Be flexible. Sometimes what you think can be done may not work best for your home. We try to work with the client to understand what they want and then bring it to life in their home the best way possible.
- Be patient. So many items are taking a long time to arrive. From bathroom vanities to front doors! Just know that remodeling your home or a project is a process that has many variables. Some we can control, some we cannot. If you have your heart set on a particular cabinet- you may have to wait a little longer for it.
What is one thing you have done that has had the biggest impact on your results?
Building strong customer relationships. We strive to have an excellent customer relationship. And that has proven integral to our success over the years. We’ve built our business on referrals and word of mouth and continue to do so almost 20 years later! A happy customer is your best source of advertising!