How can you attract and retain great employees in the workplace today? You certainly could lure them in with a highly competitive salary. Or win them over with a robust and generous benefits package. Or you could do something that’s a little easier — and a whole lot less expensive.
You could create a fun workplace.
Yes, you read that right — a fun workplace. They hardly seem like two words that go together. However, studies have shown that the happiest and most productive employees are the ones who enjoy their work environments.
Here are some proven ways to make your workplace fun:
- Create a fun committee. Bringing fun into your workplace shouldn’t just be an idea; it should be a priority. Form a committee and recruit employees to help conceive, plan, and promote fun and entertaining events and outings.
- Plan outside work events. Planning events outside of work will allow employees to get to know each other as people, not just as co-workers. You could plan a formal company outing or simply schedule regular after-work gatherings at a nearby restaurant.
- Spice up your meetings. Anyone who has spent time in the workplace knows that meetings are a necessary and often mundane part of the work week. However, you can help make them more interesting in a variety of ways. For example, you could take your staff meeting outside or surprise employees with a special meeting treat, such as an ice cream party.
- Promote volunteerism. A great way to bring employees together and create a fun environment is to encourage volunteerism. Arrange to have a group of employees take a little time off to volunteer with a local non-profit organization, such as a food pantry or soup kitchen.
- Celebrate milestones. Life is full of exciting milestones — weddings, births, even work anniversaries. Take some time to recognize and celebrate important events in your employees’ lives.
- Have some fun — and games. Invite employees to play games, such as company bingo where they can win prizes — including a free day off or movie tickets.
- Bring in some furry friends. If it’s permitted in your office building, let employees take turns bringing in their dogs for the day.
Start thinking about entertaining and creative ways to improve your workplace today. Come on, it will be fun.